Home     About Me     Features     Fave Places to Party!
Crafting      Home Improvement & Decor     Digital Scrapping     Reading

Sunday, September 11, 2011

It's amazing what you can make from cardboard and an old sheet

I wish I could take credit for this brilliant idea, but I can't.  I adapted the pattern and tutorial from Choose to Thrive of her Ballard knock-off.
This is what I LOVE about the crafty/DIY blogging world.  The generous sharing of ideas.  I would never have thought of doing this!  I was planning on building a wood file holder to hang on my wall, but not only would it have been incredibly challenging to build, it wouldn't have been big enough to suit my needs.  I needed a lot of pockets to hide my clutter, and one day it came to me.  I could use the idea I saw on another blog, double the size and hang it on the inside of one of my pantry doors (yes, I have two pantries.  Don't hate me.), where no one would see it.  PERFECT.  I hadn't pinned the tutorial, so it took multiple tries Googling to find the post, but I did!  Thanks to Nike for sharing her awesome project.
In addition to adding another column of pockets, I adjusted the spacing to fit my door.  The flaps in the middle share a hole in the cardboard back, so they are RIGHT next to each other (necessary to fit the width of my door).  I DID run into a problem when I went to put it up.  It's called a doorknob.  So I took off the inside knob, gouged out a small hole in the backside (without going all the way through) to accommodate the metal prong sticking out about a half inch.  Then I cut a disc out of an old sour cream lid to put over the knob opening and screwed it into place, to then hold the outside knob on.  Then screwed my cardboard masterpiece to the door.  Cut out labels on my Cricut for the finishing touch.

I love it.  Total cost was $2 for the old sheet I got at the thrift store.  Cardboard, duct tape, spray adhesive and hot glue I already had.  And now my countertops and table are clutter free.  Hip hip hooray!



Link up at : {M} Ask Anna-Skip to My Lou-The DIY Showoff-Mad in Crafts-Marvelously Messy-Pinkopotamus-The Girl Creative-Sumo's Sweet Stuff-Making the World Cuter-Sew Can Do- C.R.A.F.T.- Keeping It Simple-Mo Momma {T} Creating a House of Grace-Today's Creative Blog-Tip Junkie-Cherished Bliss-A Diamond in the Stuff-Sugar Bee Crafts-Vintage Wanna Bee-Reasons to Skip the Housework-The Kurtz Corner-Me and My Boys-Embellishing Life-All Thingz Related {W} Tea Rose Home-Someday Crafts-Lil' Luna-Creations by Kara-Eisy Morgan-Bella Before and After-Sew Woodsy -Goodbye City Hello Suburbs-Blue Cricket Design-Sew Much Ado-My Girlish Whims -A Mommy's Life with a touch  of yellow {Th} The Shabby Creek Cottage-House of Hepworths-The Brambleberry Cottage-The 36th Avenue-Yesterday on Tuesday-Saved by Love Creations-Momnivore's Dilemma  {F} Thirty Handmade Days-Just a Girl-Romantic Home-Remodelaholic-Shabby Nest-Young & Crafty-Lovely Crafty Home-WhipperBerry-At the Picket Fence-Finding Fabulous-delicate CONSTRUCTION-My Repurposed Life-Naptime Crafters-Chic on a Shoestring Budget Decorating-A Little Knick Knack-Fingerprints on the Fridge -504 Main-Cookie Nut Creations-Making Lemonade-French Country Cottage {S} Funky Junk Interior-Ladybird Lane-Tatertots and Jello-Craft Envy-A Law Student's Journey
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...