Home     About Me     Features     Fave Places to Party!
Crafting      Home Improvement & Decor     Digital Scrapping     Reading

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Painting the town RED

So we've spent a great deal of time fixing up our house.  Mostly on the inside.  We (well, my husband) did do a tremendous amount of work on the front yard, but...the yard is still DEFINITELY not where we want it to be.  Nonetheless, we have some other curb appeal projects just waiting for us to get to them.  Finally, I decided to JUST DO one of them.
I painted our front door.  Red.  (insert big toothy smile here.)  I love red.  It makes me happy.
I also installed a new door handle/lock set (ALL BY MYSELF, as those of you who follow me on Facebook already know), which I think looks pretty sharp.  That was kinda an accident.  We were going to wait until next spring to replace the door hardware, along with acquiring a rather expensive door knocker and doorbell I have my eye on.  And the lighting.  But the tape leaked, so I got red paint on the old lock and knob (shoulda just taken them off), and when I tried using nail polish remover to get it off (bad idea)...I pretty much ruined 'em.  Well, they didn't look much worse than they already did, but still....not something I wanted to put on my beautiful red door.  So I headed off to Lowe's and found an awesome set that regularly was $124...but on clearance for $31.  Yes, over 90 bucks off.  AWESOME.
Anyway, thought I'd show you some photos.
This is our house when it was first put up for sale.  Notice the mounds of mulch covered dirt, the tree directly in front of our front door, lots of shrubs and the very odd patch in the middle of our lawn (strawberries, as it turns out).  Unfortunately, this is not what it looked like by the time we bought it in February.  It had been empty since August, so underneath all the snow was a very overgrown yard.  My husband dug out the little tree, all the shrubs (except those by the tree in the left corner of the photo, they hide a large green electrical box we didn't even know was in our yard until we closed on our house), flattened the mounds as much as possible, dug out the strawberry patch, and seeded the whole she-bang.
So here is what it looked like a few days ago.  Much better for our purposes (the grass is still coming in though).  However, my big tree is blocking the view of the front door.  And the front door is dingy and scuffed.  And plain white.
And this is what it looks like now!!!  Painted red, new hardware, and I got on a ladder with a saw and pruned some branches myself.  Don't know the first thing about pruning trees, and didn't bother Googling it (the source of all knowledge) so hopefully I didn't do any permanent damage!
We still are in the process of building shutters and a windowbox, and we will be painting the trim around the front door, the railing and the garage doors soon.  It will look AWESOME and oh so charming when I'm done.  Stay tuned!

Link up at : {M} Ask Anna-Skip to My Lou-The DIY Showoff-Mad in Crafts-Marvelously Messy-Pinkopotamus-The Girl Creative-Sumo's Sweet Stuff-Making the World Cuter-Sew Can DoC.R.A.F.T.- Keeping It Simple-Mo Momma {T} Creating a House of Grace-Today's Creative Blog-Tip Junkie-Cherished Bliss-A Diamond in the Stuff-Sugar Bee Crafts-Vintage Wanna Bee-Reasons to Skip the Housework-The Kurtz Corner-Me and My Boys-Embellishing Life-All Thingz Related {W} Tea Rose Home-Someday Crafts-Lil' Luna-Creations by Kara-Eisy Morgan-Bella Before and After-Sew Woodsy -Goodbye City Hello Suburbs-Blue Cricket Design-Sew Much Ado-My Girlish Whims -A Mommy's Life with a touch  of yellow {Th} The Shabby Creek Cottage-House of Hepworths-The Brambleberry Cottage-The 36th Avenue-Yesterday on Tuesday-Saved by Love Creations-Momnivore's Dilemma  {F} Thirty Handmade Days-Just a Girl-Romantic Home-Remodelaholic-Shabby Nest-Young & Crafty-Lovely Crafty Home-WhipperBerry-At the Picket Fence-Finding Fabulous-delicate CONSTRUCTION-My Repurposed Life-Naptime Crafters-Chic on a Shoestring Budget Decorating-A Little Knick Knack-Fingerprints on the Fridge -504 Main-Cookie Nut Creations-Making Lemonade-French Country Cottage {S} Funky Junk Interior-Ladybird Lane-Tatertots and Jello-Craft Envy-A Law Student's Journey
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...