Home     About Me     Features     Fave Places to Party!
Crafting      Home Improvement & Decor     Digital Scrapping     Reading

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Baby shower for C



Okay guys, can I just tell you HOW EXCITED I am to be an Auntie?!  Between the two of us, my husband and I have 6 younger siblings, but because we got married young (22!  and every year it seems younger!)  and none of them did, we have had the ONLY kids on both sides of the family.  Until now!  We've had three siblings get married in the last year and  half (M&M, B&H, A&B) and now we're getting a niece!!!!  I've waited so long!!!

So anyway, all of my husband's family was in town over the weekend because his sister came home from her mission for our church.  Couldn't miss the opportunity to throw a baby shower for my first niece!

I went with a coral and teal color scheme.  Coral because that was one of the wedding colors B&H used, so I had decorations I could use from the wedding!  Teal because I used my great-grandmother's china, which has a teal border around the edge.

Invitation
Designed in Photoshop.  Hot Air Balloon from the digiscrap kit By the Light of the Moon by Etc. by Danyale

Decorations
My favorite part from the B&H wedding was the fabric banners I sewed, and I've used them a few times since.  They are so festive and fun.
I also used the flowers from the centerpieces, added a few in teal, and hung them from the ceiling using fishing line.
Last but not least, I hung teal balloons with fishing line.  Used the marble trick (stick a marble inside before blowing up and tying off, thanks Hungry Hungry Hippos) so they would hang down straight.

Food
We all know that's what this is really about, right?  Everybody comes hoping for great food!  And rumor has it...I delivered.  :)

The menu
Savory:
Antipasto kabobs (recipe coming!)
Chicken Salad on croissants
Veggie Tray

Sweet:
Mint brownies (recipe coming!)

Drinks:
Coconut Limeade (recipe coming!)

Entertainment/Games
I am not big on cheesy games.  So it's always interesting trying to find something fun and cute but doesn't trigger my gag reflex.  Here's what I came up with:
As the guests arrived, they each gave Mom some advice
and wrote a birthday wish for baby, to be opened on her birthday at that age.
With food, each guest took an ice cube with a little plastic baby frozen into it.  Once the ice melted and the baby was free, they had to shout "My water broke!"  The first few people won a prize.
After we finished eating, we played the Name Game.  Ahead of time, I looked up the meaning of the names of all those attending.  Then each guest wrote down a guess at the meanings of all those names.  I found that most of them didn't even know the meaning of their own names!  But I told them to get creative in their guesses, because they could get a point for a correct answer AND the momma to be would give a point for her favorite WRONG answer.  This turned out to be a hit!  Everyone really enjoyed it.

Then we moved onto opening presents.  Before each present, I asked a question, and kept tally of points.
Questions:
Who came the furthest to be here?
Who has the most kids?
Who has lived in the most different states?  Cities?
Who had the longest labor?  The shortest?
Who has the most siblings?  The least?
Who has known mother to be the longest?
Whose birthday is closest to the due date?
Whose birthplace is closest to where the baby will be born?
Who has had braces….the longest?
Who is the shortest?  The tallest?
Who has the biggest feet?  Smallest?

 At the end of presents, the winners got to pick a prize.

Prizes
There were two kinds of prizes.  Body wash (thank you B&BW semi-annual sale!) and a loofah with a tag that said "From our shower to yours!"
And a pedicure kit with either nail polish or a foot repair cream with a tag that said "You nailed it!"

Favors
As a thank you for coming, each guest got a little bag of my famous homemade honey caramel popcorn.

And that's that!  I don't get the chance to have parties like this or make food like that very often!  So this was a lot of fun for me.

I'll be back later to tell you a gross story.  Stay tuned.  :)


Linking up here:
{M} Twigg Studios-Skip to My Lou-The DIY Showoff-Mad in Crafts-Marvelously Messy-Making the World Cuter-Sew Can DoC.R.A.F.T.- Keeping It Simple-Creating My Way to Success-All Things Fee-Craft-o-Maniac-Boogieboard Cottage-Between Naps on the Porch-I Should Be Mopping the Floor-Momnivore's Dilemma-The Girl Creative {T} Yesterday on Tuesday-Tip Junkie-Sugar Bee Crafts-Funky Polkadot Giraffe-Hope Studios-My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia-Home Stories A2Z-Primitive and Proper {furniture only}-Elizabeth & Co.-Coastal Charm-Ladybug Blessings-Homework-New Nostalgia {W} Simply Designing-Someday Crafts-Creations by Kara -Sew Much Ado-My Girlish Whims-Savvy Southern Style-Seven Thirty Three-Polkadots on Parade-Ginger Snap Crafts-DIY by Design {Th} Cherished Bliss-The Brambleberry Cottage-Beyond the Picket Fence-A Glimpse Inside-Domestically Speaking {paint only}-A Creative Princess-My Repurposed Life {F} Today's Creative Blog-Thirty Handmade Days-Romantic Home-Remodelaholic-Shabby Nest-Lovely Crafty Home-WhipperBerry-At the Picket Fence-Finding Fabulous-delicate CONSTRUCTION-Naptime Crafters-Chic on a Shoestring Budget Decorating-Fingerprints on the Fridge-504 Main-French Country Cottage-Truly Lovely-Miss Mustard Seed {furniture only}-Simply Sweet Home-Craftionary-One Artsy Mama-Lil' Luna-The 36th Avenue {S} Reasons to Skip the Housework-Funky Junk Interior
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...