Home     About Me     Features     Fave Places to Party!
Crafting      Home Improvement & Decor     Digital Scrapping     Reading

Friday, November 8, 2013

This Week's Reads 11/8





From a tired mommy who reads for entertainment, not enlightenment.



The Anatomist's Wife by Anna Lee Huber
I LOVED this!  A mystery set in the 1800's in Scotland.  Lady Darby, the main character, is a young (mid to late 20's) widow thrown into finding a murderer after a guest at her sister's house party is found dead in the garden.  To make matters more interesting, there is her background: the wife of an anatomist, who married her for her artistic skills and forced her to illustrate his dissections.  First in a series, I've got number two on hold at the library!






Glitch by Amber Gilchrist
This was a funny book for me.  It's an LDS romance, which in this case means all the crazy cultural stuff might be hard to follow if you're not a Mormon or at least a little familiar with Mormons.  It's about a 30 something single girl and her bumpy road to love.  I enjoyed it, it sure made me smile!








Jane by April Lindner
I think my favorite part about this book was the cover.  Stunning, right?  I was really intrigued by this book.  I mean, modern retellings of Austen have been done and DONE (that's not to say I haven't enjoyed many of them, believe me, I have!), but Bronte?  That's new.  Well, just as all those Austen fan fiction authors are no Jane Austen, April Lindner is no Charlotte Bronte.  Not that she thinks she is, of course.  It's just that somehow the disparity seems much more obvious with this novel.  I just didn't find the love story believable.  I understand translating such a story into modern times offers challenges, but the choices the author made in her interpretation just didn't work for me.  I mean, don't get me wrong, it's not terrible, and you may enjoy it.  But go in with lowered expectations.  Oh, and there is a sex scene that I skipped.  No idea how detailed it was, but I have no interest in reading about anyone's sex life, detailed or not.  Anyway, overall, I was disappointed in the book, but it's not without merit.  April Lindner has also tackled Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights in Catherine...I'll probably read it, but I'm not expecting too much.  I think this story might be even more difficult to retell.  And her next undertaking, due out next year, is a retelling of A Room with a View by E.M. Forster.  I'm trying not to be horrified...open minded instead....  :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...