Home     About Me     Features     Fave Places to Party!
Crafting      Home Improvement & Decor     Digital Scrapping     Reading

Friday, December 13, 2013

This Week's Reads 12/13


From a tired mommy who reading for entertainment, not enlightenment

My husband has been away on business this week, so I've been reading more.  I.e., collapsing onto the heat vent (it's been below freezing every day here) with a book and a sweet after getting the kids to bed.

I found myself with no library books waiting for me, no Kindle books I was dying to read, so I decided I should pick up one of the dozens of books I own but haven't read.  I really enjoyed this book.  Had the same sense of magic as the last Allen book I read.  Also a sex scene or two to skip.  Set in North Carolina.  Very Southern.






The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen
Another Sarah Addison Allen that I had lying around.  I liked this one even better than Garden Spells.  Also Southern, also magical.  Set in a mountain town in North Carolina.  Probably a sex scene I skipped, but I don't remember for sure.  Good book.
The first in another cozy mystery series that I picked up at my latest favorite used bookstore (Keep and Exchange Books).  The main character of this is a law school drop out flower shop owner.  I enjoyed it, just like the Antique Print series I was reading last week, though also not my top favorite cozy mystery series.






The Scent of Rain and Lightning by Nancy Pickard
I closed this book upon finishing, and said aloud, "Wow.  What a book."  And it was.  A compelling tragic mysterious story.  One of those books you don't necessarily love, but that stays with you.  For that, I recommend it.  Now, for my usual warnings: language.  One actual sex scene I skipped, though the characters do refer to sex a few times in an unsurprisingly cavalier manner.  Otherwise a good read.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...