Home     About Me     Features     Fave Places to Party!
Crafting      Home Improvement & Decor     Digital Scrapping     Reading

Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Pioneer Woman: From Black Heels to Tractor Wheels book review

The Pioneer Woman: From Black Heels to Tractor Wheels by Ree Drummond
From Booklist: Popular blogger and cookbook author Drummond shares the story of her courtship and marriage to her husband, whom she refers to as Marlboro Man. Though Drummond grew up in Oklahoma, she never imagined she'd end up there for good. After four years of college in Los Angeles, Drummond was only making a pit stop home before moving to Chicago. A chance encounter with a devastatingly masculine cowboy in a local bar changes everything. Though several months elapse before Marlboro Man calls her, the spark between them ignites as soon as they start dating. A rancher with deep roots in the land he works, Marlboro Man isn't going anywhere, which means Drummond has to decide whether, to be with him, she's willing to give up her dream of moving to Chicago. By the time Marlboro Man proposes, the decision is made, and Drummond prepares to marry the love of her life and discover what being a rancher's wife will entail. Charming and bright, Drummond's story will be an inspiration to those who despair of finding old-fashioned, lasting love. --Kristine Huntley


This book had so many holds on it at the library, I didn't think I'd get my hands on it for a YEAR.  Which made me conclude that 1) the library had a TON of copies in the system to keep up with its popularity, and 2) people must be flying through it and returning it quickly.  So needless to say, I was excited to get going myself.
I can definitely understand why anyone would fly through it.  I found myself alone on a very odd Sunday, early evening.  We'd had a family event that day, so the kids had gone without naps and were in bed early.  My husband was knocked out on Benadryl.  All was quiet, and I had no household chores to do since it was Sunday.  So I picked up this book and read it.  In one sitting.
It's a wonderful book.  Full of romance, a little suspense, and a great sense of humor.  On the back of the book jacket, there are a few quotes from readers.  One says, "This story helped remind me just why I fell in love with my husband...and why I'm still mad crazy about him"  I think she summed it up well.  It's the best kind of love story: one that reinforces your own.
Ree Drummond's book is also about what really matters, and making choices to have those things over all that glitters.
I've heard of her blog, but never read it.  I will definitely be taking a look now.  I'm hooked on her writing style, humor and very interesting life...
Most definitely recommend it.  I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...