Home     About Me     Features     Fave Places to Party!
Crafting      Home Improvement & Decor     Digital Scrapping     Reading

Friday, August 30, 2013

Top Books of All Time - August


A friend of mine messaged me to tell me how much she'd enjoyed Ten Girls to Watch and asked what else I liked to read...so I sent her some all time favorites.  And then thought, "I should do a post about these."  So I just decided that the last Friday of every month would be not for current reads, but old favorites.  So here we go.  :)


The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
Dracula.  SO interesting.  This book appealed to me largely because of the origins of Dracula: Wallachia, a region of Romania. (Romania has a special place in my heart because of the semester I spent there in college.) I LOVED the book. I will admit, it's not a book for everyone. It is at times very academic in tone and certainly not fast paced, but the story is fascinating. If you like history, I recommend it to you.





Without Reservations: The Travels of an Independent Woman by Alice Steinbach
A travel memoir.  Think Eat Pray Love, except a million trillion times better (I HATED Eat Pray Love).  This I loved.  ABSOLUTELY loved.  I think I should reread it.  Right now.  And it's 2:45 AM (I can't sleep), so that's saying something.






Indelible by Kristen Heitzmann
I wavered whether or not to post this one, since I reviewed it on this blog a couple years ago, but for new followers....it's just so good!
I got this for free with the Blogging for Books program I am part of.  I don't always love the books I get through this.  I don't always LIKE them, for that matter.  But this book has earned a permanent spot on my Kindle.  I found it fascinating.  My degree is in Psychology, and the workings of the mind have always interested me.  One of the main characters, Natalie, has eidetic memory.  There is much debate over whether or not eidetic memory such as this actually exists, but the idea of it is more than intriguing.  I loved that the author took such a concept and created an entire story around it.  She did embellish eidetic memory a bit, in that Natalie did not just have faces locked in her head, she saw right through people, to the honest good and bad.  Fascinating, the idea that such an ability could exist.
And the story itself is gripping.  Couldn't put it down, as the cliche goes.  And though the events were perhaps extreme, I think it still maintained a sense of believability.
Adventure, danger and of course, a little romance.
SO. GOOD.

Anyway, next Friday it's back to my current reading material.  Until then, get your hands on one of these, you just might love it too.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...