Home     About Me     Features     Fave Places to Party!
Crafting      Home Improvement & Decor     Digital Scrapping     Reading

Friday, August 9, 2013

This Week's Reads 8/9


I'm late getting this up, sorry folks! Crazy weekend celebrating my son's birthday!

Ten Girls to Watch: A Novel by Charity Shumway
I LOVED this book.  Loved it.  The author loosely based it on her real life experience...and wow, those were some experiences.  The basic premise of the book was a 23 year old woman with an Ivy League degree, living in NYC and struggling to find work.  Then she stumbles into a job tracking down 50 years worth of a magazine's 10 Girls to Watch lists.  Needless to say, she gets to talk to some amazing women, and learns a lot from them in the process.  It was delightful.  And just because I loved it extra much, here's one of my favorite little blurbs: "Experience is like evidence.  When you're young and you don't have much experience yet, you don't have much basis for confidence.  All you really have is hope, and that can get shaken pretty easily.  But as years go by, you start to gather this evidence.  You made it through this or that and you did okay, maybe not perfectly, but okay, so when you stumble, which you will, you can look back and say 'Well, I survived that, so I can probably survive this.'  Or there will be things you're really proud of, evidence of your abilities, and you can look back on those things and say 'I did it then, I can do it again.'  Right now, you're just building up those experiences."



Take the Trophy and Run: A Bloomfield Novel by Gail Sattler
A charming quick CLEAN romantic read.  One of a series of non-sequential books set in Bloomfield.  Fun and sweet.








Tulle Death Do Us Part (A Vintage Magic Mystery) by Annette Blair
This is number six of the Vintage Magic series.  I adore this series.  A bit more racy than I typically like in my reading material, but it's very fade to grey, for all its innuendo.  It's just so fun.  The characters are endearing, the mysteries interesting, and the psychometric angle unique and fascinating.  I've thoroughly enjoyed it.  This is a series I like so much, I reread them!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...